Gas bottle and BBQ blast cases set to soar | Sunshine Coast …
November 29, 2017 - bbq set
SUNCORP is awaiting some-more than 250 claims for grill fires or explosions over a summer holiday period, call warnings to take additional precautions.
The word hulk suggested there was routinely an 80% boost in fires and burglary claims in December.
More than a entertain (26 per cent) of all claims in 2016 relating to electrical faults, grill fires or explosions, and holiday theft, occurred during Dec or January, Suncorp reported.
The warning comes after a shocking box of a gas blast during Lismore Turf Club final week.
Suncorp spokesperson, Michael Mills, pronounced it was vicious for families, embracing a anniversary festivities, to be aware of a intensity reserve risks.
“The holiday deteriorate is a good time of year to relax with family and friends, though it’s critical not to get swept up
in a holiday hearten and disremember intensity reserve hazards,” Mr Mills said.
“Electrical faults are a pivotal writer to home fires, generally now when air-conditioning units are on overdrive
in summer and families are decorating their homes with Christmas lights.
“It’s critical to safeguard any electrical decorations and lights are in good operative sequence and are installedcorrectly – generally after being stored divided for a past 11 months.
“Lights beget heat, so don’t leave them nearby incendiary equipment like jacket paper and never use indoor
Last year alone, Suncorp perceived some-more than 260 claims relating to grill fires or explosions, 20 per cent of
which occurred in Dec or January.
“A family grill is a quintessential summer tradition, though it’s critical not to spin restored and follow
safety precautions like checking a gas bottle for leaks and not withdrawal it unattended,” Mr Mills said.
“We also see a poignant boost in claims relating to burglary during this time of year, with claims doubling in
Top tips for a Christmas enthusiast
• Check all your lights and electrical decorations before switching them on – 11 months is a prolonged time to be in
• Always follow a manufacturer’s instructions and use Australian Standards-compliant Christmas lights.
• While they demeanour lovely, always remember to spin them off before going to bed or withdrawal a house.
Top tips for BBQ safety
• Check a hose and projection of a grill and make certain it’s not leaking. If you’re not sure, mist it with
soapy water. If it froth when we spin a projection on, it’s leaking.
• Avoid withdrawal a gas on for too prolonged before igniting and do not leave your cooking unattended.
• Buy a glow sweeping and glow extinguisher, and have them simply permitted from your kitchen and barbecue
• Do not put H2O on a fat fire. Water can fast widespread a glow and lead to critical injuries and property